CITY SIGN ORDINANCE SYNOPSIS
Key points of the ordinance for Off-Site Directional Real Estate Signage:
- One (1) non-illuminated, double faced, non-advertising directional sign maybe placed at any intersection corner.
- For Sale or For Rent directional signs shall be no larger than one (1) square foot.
- Open House, Model Open or Parade of Homes directional signs shall be no larger than 18" X 24".
- Two (2) directional signs may be displayed as outlined while the house is for sale or rent, but must be removed promptly when house is sold or rented. Or Two (2) Open House, Model Open or Parade of Homes directional signs may be displayed as outlined on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but not on Monday - Thursday unless the owner or a sales person is present on the property.
- Each house shall be limited to one directional sign at one location.
- No off-site directional sign shall be displayed on any property without the consent of the owner, holder, lessee, agent or trustee.
- No off-site directional sign shall be located on the public right-or-way.
History: 1998: At 12:45 a.m., Thursday the City Commission finally took a vote on the Sign Ordinance Amendments as proposed by the Tallahassee Board of REALTORS® and the Tallahassee Builders Association. After a lot of heated debate the Commission voted 3 to 2 in favor of the new ordinance. Our gratitude goes to Commissioners Bailey and Billings and Mayor Maddox for their unwavering support. Now that we have changed the ordinance it is up to you to understand and abide by it. TBR will have copies of the final ordinance by next week.
Thank you to all the members who stuck it out until the early morning hours. Special thanks to Judy Wilson and to Past President Tommie Cochran who continually supported and enforced the REALTOR® message.